UDS2-77 ultrasonic single rail flaw detector is a mechanized trolley intended for the inspection of one rail line.
The flaw detector utilizes a unique scanning scheme that allows testing the entire rail section, except for foot flanges, by pulse echo, echo-shadow and echo-image techniques.
The trolley is made from light but rigid composite materials, due to which the total weight of the device is 16 kg only.
Both mechanics (trolley) and electronics (software) of UDS2-77 have been developed with due account for ergonomic design, user-friendly intuitive interface, as well as severe weather conditions that may occur while working on a railway track.
Representation of test results in the form of A-scan, multi-A-scan, B-scan for all channels;
Real-time display of test results in the form of B-scan;
Data recording and saving (operator’s name, line, direction, track number, left/right position, initial track coordinate, date, time, final track coordinate);
Screenshot saving (PrintScreen);
Saving of test results in the form of data array (B-scan) to the internal memory;
Use of USB flash drive for transmitting the test results to PC;
Availability of measuring gates in A-scan & B-scan modes;
Post-viewing of test result on the flaw detector with the possibility to measure conditional sizes of defects;
Possibility to put the track markers (e.g. “Bridge”, “Crossing”, “Bolt hole”, etc.).
1. Weight of the trolley is 16 kg only.
2. Modular design of the trolley consists of a support frame with adaptive rollers; electronic unit for control and visualization; multichannel unit; battery pack; couplant (water) tank; probe units; suspension mechanism of the probe units to place them into operation/transportation position; encoder.
3. Position of electronic unit for control and visualization can be adjusted along three axes.
4. Probe unit is transversely positioned in relation to a rail with the help of a dedicated control device.
5. Probe unit can be centered using the adaptive rollers.
6. Suspension mechanism of the probe unit ensures a stable acoustic contact if the trolley is tilted up to 150.
Conventional-type contact Probe Units with both standard and specialized probes are used in UDS2-77 flaw detector.
The probe units are made from wear resistant plastic material, with hard-metal inserts on the working surface.
Fig. 2 — Probe units
The probe units comprise the following probes:
|Probe unit №1:||Probe unit №1:|
|00 probe — 4 MHz||4х580х340 probe — 2.5 MHz|
|700 probe — 2.5 MHz (Forward)||700 probe — 2.5 MHz (Backward)|
|4х580х340 probe — 2.5 MHz||2х450 probe — 2.5 MHz (Forward/Backward)|
1. One 4 MHz probe, refracted angle 00 is intended for inspection of the entire rail section by height in the web projection, for the presence of internal defects and laminations. This probe enables two testing techniques: pulse echo and echo-shadow.
2. Two 2.5 MHz probes, refracted angle 700(one of them emits along, and another — across the trolley movement) are intended for inspection of the central part of the rail head, for the presence of mature transverse defects.
3. Two 2.5 MHz probes, refracted angle 450(one of them emits along, and another — across the trolley movement) are intended for inspection of the entire rail section in the web projection, for the presence of internal defects, as well as for inspection of bolt holes for the presence of star-type defects.
4. Eight 2.5 MHz probes, refracted angle 580 that are turned by 340 in relation to the rail axis. The probes are placed in two cases, with 4 piezoelectric-crystal plates each. These probes enable pulse echo and echo-image techniques, and are intended for flaw detection across the entire rail head.
Suspension mechanism of probe unit
Suspension mechanism is responsible for positioning the probe unit in the rail head cross section. It also ensures a steady acoustic contact when the trolley is turned by ±150.
Fig. 3 — Suspension mechanism. Working position (lever down)
Fig. 4 — Suspension mechanism. Transport position (lever up)
Electronic Unit of UDS2-77
Fig. 5 — Side panels of Electronic Unit
For NDT inspector/operator’s convenience, the Electronic Unit of the flaw detector includes:
1 — Control Knob to change operation modes and parameter values in the software interface;
2 — Connector for headphones;
3 — Connector for USB-drive;
4 — Connector for Encoder;
5 — Connector for Multichannel unit.
6 — Keypad of UDS2-77 flaw detector consists of two navigation panels that are used for browsing through the menu items, modifying the parameter values, and calling for various operation modes with the help of ‘hot’ keys.
Hot Keys panel
UDS2-77 is featured by a simple menu structure for setup and calibration, as well as setting of software functions/modes. The device is furnished with Hot Keys panel to get an immediate access to main operation modes, such as display (А-scan/B-scan), correction of track coordinate, generation of test report, On/Off button for test results saving mode.
c) B-scan (for 1, 4 or all channels)
d) A-scan + B-scan
Fig. 6 — Test results display modes:
Test results post-viewing mode
a) General menu viewing
b) Flaw parameter measuring
c) B-scan + A-scan viewing
Fig. 7 — Test results viewing mode