TOFD Man ultrasonic weld testing equipment
The system is designed for testing long welded joints of pipes, tanks, vessels, cisterns, ship hulls, bridges, etc. using TOFD technique. Circumferential welds with a diameter from 12 in (300 mm) can be inspected on cylindrical objects. On cylindrical, spherical, as well as complexshaped objects with a radius of surface curvature from 16 ft (5 m) to flatness, the system is capable of testing long welds in any direction. Objects with wall thickness from .25 to 12 in (from 6 to 300 mm) can be examined with the help of appropriate probes. Depending on the inspection task, TOFD MAN TM system can be complete with another scanner (see “Scanners”). The amount of probe pairs can vary from 1 to 4. For good coupling, it is advised to use an external coupling liquid supply system. In this case, a water hose will come to the scanner. But if absolute mobility is needed, coupling media can be applied to the object before testing, or a test object can be continuously showered with water
Configuration of the system is maximally optimized for placement on the operator's jacket, which does not impede the movement, also when performing an inspection at height (climbing, rope access). Standard delivery set of the system features an 8- hour battery to be put in the jacket. The scanner is light-weighted and easy to guide. It ensures handy probes setup.
In the course of and testing, all setup data are transfered to a remote PC (laptop or tablet) via Wi-Fi. A system for protecting the integrity of test data is provided, while they are fully stored inside the TOFD module and transferred to PC at the end of testing. If required, it is possible to use a wire connection to transmit data to PC.
- Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds inspection.
- Wireless operation. NDT inspector with a data acquisition PC can be situated anywhere inside Wi-Fi range.
- Ultrasonic weld tester can work with any type of Windows based computer: Laptop, Desktop, Tablet, etc. Interface is both mouse- and finger-friendly.
- Choose, not setup! - Really quick and comprehensive setup due to the elements libraries: Geometry library, Materials library, Scanners library, Probes library, etc.
- Automated water supply individually under each probe.
- Electronics is protected against fall down by scanner design.
Main advantages of TOFD are:
- Detects defects regardless their orientation, in contrast to the pulse echo technique
- In contrast to the radiography method, planar defects and cracks, which are not perpendicular to the measured surface can be detected
- High degree of repeatability
- Precise defect sizing capability
- Fast scanning only along the weld. Full volume inspection in a single run.
- Immediate results and permanent digital records with graphic images
- Amplitude insensitive – acoustical coupling less critical
- Set-up independent of weld configuration
TOFD Man Scanner is compact and reliable equipment, which assures stable scanning results. Such NDT instrument is most often used as ultrasonic pipe testing equipment. Magnetic wheels and spring loaded probes carriers with self-positioning system ensure transducers stability on the object surface which results in good coupling necessary for testing results reliability. Scanner is easy to drive and doesn’t fall from the object even when upside-down. Scanner carries TOFD Ethernet module, Wi-Fi module, and rechargeable battery pack. Cases of TOFD module and battery pack are shockproof. All equipment has protection rating IP65. Scanner design ensures that at fall down, the main impact will come to the scanner structure elements saving electronics. Storage battery ensures 8 hours of TOFD Man system operation. But it can be replaced with a single hand in several seconds if necessary.
TOFD systems software consists of the queue of tabs guiding the inspector through step-by-step setup procedure, data acquisition and analysis. Software is both mouse and finger friendly so can be used on various types of computers – tablets, laptops, desktops, monoblocks, etc. Setup process is greatly facilitated due to wide usage of setup elements libraries – Geometry library, Materials library, Scanners library, Probes library, etc. So, the major portion of the setup procedure shrinks to choosing of proper elements from those libraries. Complete setup packs suitable for particular testing tasks can be saved and then loaded at any time.
Main software functions are distributed among the following tabs:
- selecting the test object geometry and setting up its dimensions;
- selecting the test object material;
- selecting the type of a weld bevel and setting up all its dimensions.
- selecting the scanner;
- setting up the scanner type: manual, motor-operated;
- setting up the spatial position of TOFD transducers pairs relative to the origin of the coordinate system;
- using of up to 4 TOFD transducer pairs;
- carrying out encoder calibration.
«TOFD setup» tab:
- selecting the type of TOFD probes, TOFD wedges, or setup of their parameters;
- setting up the PCS – the distance between the index points of TOFD transducers and their shift relative to the welded joint axis;
- calculation and graphic display of the following parameters using TOFD Calculator:
- Spatial resolution (R);
- Scanning-surface dead zone (D);
- Backwall dead zone (D);
- Locus curve;
- Beam Spread.
«TOFD Calibration» tab:
- setting up the main UT parameters;
- carrying out the real-time TOFD calibration;
- real-time checkup of reflectors detection in calibration block;
- saving the calibration results.
«Data acquisition» tab:
- A-Scan + TOFD-Scan display during the testing process;
- carrying out the testing and data acquisition;
- displaying the current scanner position and the scanning speed;
- data synchronization by lateral wave during the testing process;
- considering the scanning direction and capability to rescan the regions with the acoustic coupling loss;
- saving the testing results.
«Data analysis» tab:
- review and analysis of saved data in a form of А-Scans and TOFD-Scans;
- quick and detailed analysis of testing results using two measuring gates (type: normal, hyperbolic, manual hyperbolic);
- for all indications, the following parameters can be measured:
- their position in the object (X and Y-coordinates);
- their length (ΔX);
- their depth and height (Z, ΔZ);
- their type: “volumetric”, ˝top-surface breaking˝, ˝bottom-surface breaking˝ or ˝inner˝;
- building the defects table and its saving.
- Sorting and filtering of testing results in the database;
- TOFD scan scaling for printout;
- Reports preview;
- Reports printing.
- Internal crack.
- lateral wave;
- back wall echo;
- diffracted signal from the top tip;
- diffracted signal from the bottom tip.
TOFD transducers specification:
|Catalog number||Frequency, MHz||Element dia.||Object thickness|
|* TWS5-6-TOFD 3/8"||5||6||.250||15-50||1.4-2.0|
TOFD wedges specification:
|Catalog number||Refracted angleo|
|* WS70 L-3/8"-TOFD||70|
* included in basic delivery set